Odin sitting on his throne, Hliðskjálf
|Title||The Allfather of the Gods|
Odin (also Óðinn, Wodan, Woden, or Wotan, from Old Norse) is a widely revered god, a war god, and is one of the principal gods in Norse mythology. He is the God of Wisdom, Victory & Magic; the Allfather of the Gods; the King of Asgard; the Lord of Hosts; the Leader of Souls & the Protector of the Nine Realms.
From earliest times, Lord Odin has been a war god and he appeared in heroic literature as the protector of heroes, the greatest magician among the gods and is associated with runes. Half of the souls of fallen warriors and heroes slain in battles were guided by the Valkyries (maiden warriors), to join Odin in his hall, "Valhalla". The other half belonged to the goddess Freyja. Every night, Odin retires to Valhalla to feast with the souls of brave full warriors so that they might fight with him in the final battle against evil.
Odin is called the Allfather, because he is in fact, literally, the father of all the norse gods. He is the beloved-husband of the marriage-goddess, Frigg. His eldest and most favorite son is the thunder-god, Thor (by the earth goddess, Jörð). He also has two twin sons, the beauty-god, Baldr and the winter-god, Höðr (both by Frigg).
Odin's exact nature and role, however, are difficult to determine because of the complex picture of him given by the wealth of archaeological and literary sources. In outward appearance he was a tall, old man, with flowing beard and only one eye (the other he gave in exchange for wisdom). He was usually depicted wearing a cloak and a wide-brimmed hat and carrying a spear.
It is said that, one day in Asgard, Odin decided he needed the power of true wisdom, so that he would be able to have great insights into the truths of the realms; to see everything in the Nine Realms all at the same time, and he wouldn't always have to wander. So, he went to drink water from Mímir's well, "the well of true wisdom", located beneath the world tree Yggdrasil. But Mímir demanded a price for drinking from the well, the Allfather's left eye. Odin payed the price, he pulled out his eye from his head. The pain was searing. He gave it to Mímir, who placed it into the well; sacrificing it. Mímir handed him a horn brimming with the waters of wisdom. Odin took a deep drink. He then immediately saw everything that was happening in the realms; he was able to see things as they really are in their true nature. By sacrificing his eye, he now sees more than any god or mortal, able to focus on those events both distance, and those yet to pass.
Odin has two wolves and two ravens that are dedicated to him. The wolves, called Geri and Freki are said to be the ones who accompany the Allfather, and the ravens called Huginn and Muninn are said to the ones who tell him all the things happening around the world. Odin rides an eight-legged magical horse named Sleipnir, teeth inscribed with runes, and the ability to gallop through the air and over the sea. His famous spear is called Gungnir , and he also has a precious arm ring called Draupnir.
- Lord Odin
- The God of Wisdom, Victory & Magic
- The Allfather of the Gods
- The King of Asgard
- The Lord of Hosts
- The Leader of Souls
- The Protector of the Nine Realms
- Knower of Many Things
- Earth Manipulation
- Enhanced Intelligence
- Enhanced Wisdom
- Hunting Intuition
- Insanity Inducement
- Death Inducement
- Nigh Omniscience
- Predator Instinct
- War Manipulation
- War Inducement
- Weather Manipulation
In the seriesEdit
- Odin was reincarnated into the human body of Axl Johnson, to join the rest of his family of reincarnated gods; brothers Mike (Ullr), Anders (Bragi), Ty (Höðr), and grandfather Olaf (Baldr). So through out the series, Axl (as Odin) has been on a quest with his godly brothers to find the reincarnation of Frigg.
- When Odin and Frigg were reunited and remarried at The Ga, they emerged from Axl and Hanna, along with all the other gods in the Johnson family and friends, and they returned home to Asgard. When they returned home, and their powers restored in-full, and the first thing Odin did (after he took Axl's sword with him) was he brought Michele Brock (former vessel of Sjöfn) back to life from death, and then he (presumably along with Thor) prepared for battle against the midgard serpent Jörmungandr, and save the world from Ragnarök. Presumably, Odin won the fight against the serpent, and restored balance to the world in the end. Then he returned home to his beloved Frigg to spend an eternity of love with her in Asgard.